Papercraft

    Papercraft, to my understanding, is an art form where a person makes objects or images strictly by using paper as the material. Papercraft is very broad, there are a variety of ways paper can be used as an art medium. The thing that comes to mind immediately when thinking of papercraft would be origami, as well as things like paper snowflakes and imagery cut into paper. Paper is a very versatile medium, for both illustration and sculpture.

The article that interested me the most had to be the one about the work of Cybele Young, who creates everyday objects sing paper and then transforms them into creatures, she also abstracts the objects she creates. Cybele states that she likes to juxtapose her sculptures using familiar and unfamiliar forms to create an interesting narrative. Her work, especially her pieces in which the objects she has created are implied to change form is incredibly interesting to me. 


I enjoy Cybele's work the most because of the transformative aspect, I normally don't care much for abstract art, but I find these pieces in particular very captivating. The textures she manages to express with paper are also very impressive to me, the colours are also very pleasing to the eye and I find myself enjoying how much they compliment the pieces. Overall, the stories expressed by the stages of transformation in her work are very compelling.



Articles/Sources:

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/07/cybele-young-paper-metamorphosis/ 
https://www.cybeleyoung.ca/works/sculpture


Comments